Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tonight I am going to start with this yummy Pumpkin Pie Popcorn that I made.


The picture actually came out a lot better than I had hoped. I saw this recipe on Pinterest (my addiction).  It turned out really well and the kids loved it!


Pumpkin Pie Popcorn  adapted from Family Bites
  • 10 cups air popped popcorn
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
Directions:

 Preheat oven to 250 °F.  Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.

Spray a large mixing bowl with non-stick spray and add the popcorn.  Or be like me and forget that step and just try to spray around the popcorn.

 In a medium saucepan, whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and 2 tablespoons of water.

Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Continue to simmer whisking often until mixture is boiling.  Allow mixture to boil for at least 2 minutes whisking often. (I would continually whisk, because the mixture will burn to the bottom of the pan if you don't.  As I have learned from making candy in the past). 

After the 2 minutes, remove pan from heat and add all the spices and baking soda.  It will cause the mixture to turn a lighter brown and bubble up, so don't freak out.  Not that anyone would do that or anything. :)

Quickly pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn in the bowl.  Use a rubber spatula to mix the caramel into the popcorn coating as much of it as you can.  Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 1 hour.  Stir the mixture every 20 minutes with the rubber spatula.  Remove from the oven and let cook for 20 minutes (if you can wait that long, I couldn't).  Neither could the kiddos who were bugging me for an hour straight wanting to eat the popcorn. 

 She said it was an emergency that she had to have more!

 Yeah, I don't know either. I think she gets it from me.











This is the website where I got the recipe.  I am not a fan of plagiarism  :)

(http://mixingbowlkids.typepad.com/family_bites/2011/10/pumpkin-pie-popcorn.html)






No comments:

Post a Comment